The Bosch refrigerator in our home has a very important job. It is there to keep our food cold so it lasts longer. What can you do if your Bosch refrigerator is no longer cooling?
One common reason why a Bosch refrigerator is not cooling is due to the condenser coils. If the coils are dirty, they will not allow the air to flow over and reach the compressor. As a result, the temperature may not be as cool as expected.
Of course, this is only one of the many different reasons why you may be having this difficulty. At times, you may need to look even deeper because it could be something with the circuitry or even a fan that is not working properly.
Bosch Refrigerator Not Cooling
There is an issue that can keep your refrigerator from cooling properly and it is often overlooked. We mention this because it is something that is often glossed over and it is perhaps one of the easiest things to fix.
If you have too much food in the refrigerator or if you don’t have enough, your Bosch refrigerator may not be cooling properly. Why is that the case?
When you have too much food in the refrigerator, it doesn’t allow the air to circulate and the cooling may not take place as it should. Quite simply, your refrigerator may have a difficult time keeping up with all of the food you have packed within it.
On the other hand, not having enough food in the refrigerator means that your Bosch unit is going to be constantly cooling the air. As you open and close the door, the majority of the air in the refrigerator is exchanged.
Once the food in the refrigerator is at an acceptable temperature, it will help to limit how much work the compressor has to do. Not having enough food in the refrigerator means that your compressor is constantly running and it may not be able to keep up.
By organizing the food in the refrigerator and keeping up with it, you can really help to lower your energy bills and allow the refrigerator to do its job.
Let’s take a look at some of the specific reasons why a Bosch refrigerator is not cooling or is not cold enough. We will also look into why your refrigerator may not be cooling but the freezer is still working.
Reasons Why Bosch Refrigerator Not Cooling / Cold Enough
If your Bosch refrigerator is not cooling or is no longer cold enough, it can be a real problem. What can be done to fix this issue?
1. Bad Compressor: A common reason why a Bosch refrigerator is not cold enough or is no longer cooling is due to a bad compressor. The compressor is necessary for cooling the air that will keep both your freezer and your refrigerator cold. If it isn’t working, your refrigerator is not working.
Although the compressor is not typically the first thing to be checked, it is one that is relatively easy to check. You can use a multimeter to test the continuity between the pins on the compressor. If the continuity doesn’t check out, the compressor needs to be replaced.
2. Temperature Control Board – Most people tend to overlook this part of the Bosch refrigerator. The temperature control board is responsible for sending power to the fan motors and the compressor. If it isn’t working, the refrigerator will not be cooling.
Again, problems with the temperature control board are not seen very frequently but they can occur from time to time. Typically, you would replace the temperature control board if you aren’t able to repair the problem in other ways.
3. Magnetic Door Seal – It is important to check the door seal on occasion. If the refrigerator doesn’t seem to be working as it should, it may just be a problem with air exchange from the outside to the inside.
Clean the magnetic door seal with warm soapy water. Dry the seal before closing the door. Give it a visual inspection to see if it has any damage, such as tears or holes. If it is damaged, it should be replaced.
A less common problem with the door seal is for the magnet to be demagnetized. The seal magnet is not very strong but if it is not working properly, the door is not sealing properly.
4. Start Relay – If this simple part of the Bosch refrigerator is defective, the compressor will not be running. It is part of the process of starting a compressor.
Copyright protected content owner: ReadyToDIY.com and was initially posted on 2022-12-05.
In some cases, the compressor may be running if the start relay is not working but it is not going to run as frequently as it should. If that is the case, you may have a problem with the refrigerator not cooling enough, although it will be cooler than the outside air.
You can check the start relay with a multimeter. If it doesn’t check for continuity, it should be replaced.
5. Main Control Board – If the main control board is not working, then the refrigerator is not working. This is a rare problem but it is one worth considering.
You can’t test the main control board with a multimeter because it has too much circuitry. What you can do, however, is turn off the power to the refrigerator and remove it to give it a visual inspection.
If you notice any burnt circuitry or if the wires are cracked or damaged, the main control board should be replaced. Otherwise, it is likely another problem.
6. Refrigerator Errors – There may be times when small errors occur in the Bosch refrigerator that build up and keep the refrigerator from cooling properly. How can you tell?
At times, you may get an error message on the control panel that alerts you to a problem. You can check the error message against what is in your owner’s manual for more details.
Sometimes, it’s just easier to restart the refrigerator and see if it fixes the problem. Unplug the refrigerator or turn off the circuit breaker for five minutes. Restart the refrigerator and allow it to go through the process. This will sometimes fix cooling problems.
Reasons Why Bosch Refrigerator Not Cooling But Freezer Works
If you have a Bosch refrigerator that is not cooling but the freezer compartment is cold, this is an entirely different problem. What are some of the reasons why this can occur and how can you fix it?
1. Air Damper Control – If the damper control is not working, then the door between the freezer and refrigerator compartment is not going to be opening.
In your Bosch refrigerator, the refrigerator compartment relies on cold air from the freezer to keep the temperature at an acceptable level. If the damper control is not working, the damper will stay shut and although the freezer is working, the refrigerator will get warm.
In some cases, you will be able to fix this problem by working the damper control manually. It may have some ice on it or perhaps it just got stuck.
You should also avoid having your freezer too full because it can block the damper altogether.
2. Thermistor – If this simple device is not working, it may not send any cold air to the refrigerator even though the freezer compartment is operating properly. It monitors the temperature and works with the control board to start and stop the temperature cooling in the refrigerator compartment.
You can use a multimeter to test the thermistor for continuity. If it is not working properly, it should be replaced.
3. Temperature Control Thermostat – This little device is similar to the thermistor in that it regulates and monitors the temperature inside the refrigerator compartment. If the temperature control thermostat determines that the temperature is too low, it will cause the condenser fan motor to kick on.
If the temperature control thermostat is not operating properly or is experiencing an error, then it will likely keep the fan from operating. You can test the thermostat relatively easily.
Turn the thermostat down to the lowest possible setting, wait a few moments, and then turn it to the highest setting. You should hear an audible click that shows the thermostat is sending the signal to the compressor.
If you don’t hear a click, the thermostat may be defective. You can test it using a multimeter and if it doesn’t show continuity, it should be replaced.
2. Condenser Fan Motor – If the condenser fan motor is not operating as it should, the refrigerator will not get cool. Typically, this can also cause the freezer to stay warmer, but it could act independently in some cases.
Copyright article owner is ReadyToDiy.com for this article. This post was first published on 2022-12-05.
It’s worth checking the condenser fan motor for continuity using a multimeter. It can be replaced if there is a problem.
Anytime your Bosch refrigerator is not cooling properly, check the condenser coils. If they are dirty, they should be cleaned. Otherwise, you should check the condenser fan motor and if it isn’t working, check it for continuity with a multimeter.
Bosch Refrigerator Door Not Closing / Sealing
Bosch Fridge Freezer Door Not Closing / Sealing
Bosch Refrigerator Door Not Opening / Stay Open
ReadyToDIY is the owner of this article. This post was published on 2022-12-05.