External ports on your LG television are a handy feature that extends your device’s usability. However, if these ports fail, the TV will often show error messages or switch inputs independently. Luckily, fixing these HDMI and input problems isn’t too challenging!
If your LG TV’s input keeps switching, resetting your device to its factory defaults or enabling SIMPLINK may resolve the issue. If a hard reset isn’t possible, consider replacing the motherboard since it’s likely experiencing a malfunction. Or, contact an LG repairer for assistance.
We’ll discuss common issues with HDMI inputs on LG televisions in this post. We’ll also explain how to perform a soft reset and restore your television to its factory default settings. If you’re replacing your TV’s motherboard at home, you’ll learn that here too!
LG TV Keeps Switching to HDMI
When your LG television powers on, it may default to HDMI regardless of the previous input you selected. There’s no way to alter the TV’s default HDMI connection at startup.
However, the ideal approach is enabling SIMPLINK on the TV to resolve the issue. To activate this feature, follow these steps:
- With an HDMI cable, attach the HDMI SIMPLINK port to the TV’s HDMI IN connection.
- Push the Home button on your LG remote.
- Choose the Settings tab.
- Select General from the menu.
- Choose SIMPLINK and turn it on. Set the Auto Power Sync option to “on.”
When SIMPLINK is active, it’ll show only the input of the powered-on connected device.
LG TV HDMI Keeps Popping Up
If the HDMI indicator continues to appear on your LG TV screen, consider changing the HDMI cable you’re currently using.
The length of an HDMI cable does impact signal strength, which may cause your television to malfunction. The majority of vendors don’t suggest using wires longer than 20 feet.
Consider replacing the cable with one that covers the gap between the external device and the HDMI IN port on the television, but not longer.
LG TV Keeps Showing HDMI
If your LG TV continues to show the HDMI ports linked to other devices, you can disable SIMPLINK to remove this notification. SIMPLINK, as previously stated, will remind you of all connected ports. As a result, disabling the setting would remove the HDMI alert.
If this fails, try unplugging all devices connected through the HDMI port while the television is in operation.
However, if none of the previous approaches work, you can post a message in the LG help thread. A technician will contact you and request your model number to resolve the issue.
LG TV Keeps Saying New External Input Is Connected
If messages of a new input device continue to show on your LG TV, your connecting ports are likely dirty, causing the television to identify connections that aren’t there.
Clean the input ports and the connecting wires’ ends. Before checking for improvements, connect the cables into the docks at least twice, too.
If debris isn’t a problem, this often-occurring error code suggests a motherboard malfunction in your TV. Perform the following test to ensure that the motherboard is faulty before repairing it:
- Take the power cord out of the wall outlet.
- Disconnect from all external relations.
- Hold down the power button on the television for fifteen seconds.
- Wait one minute.
- Reconnect the set’s external sources.
- Connect the tv and turn it on.
If the problem persists, you need to replace the television’s motherboard. Swap the board with an OEM replacement and have it installed by an electrician. However, if you own the following equipment, you can replace the control panel yourself:
- Needle nose pliers
- Phillips screwdriver
- Flathead screwdriver
How To Replace an LG TV Motherboard
Once you have the appropriate tools, perform the following method to replace the motherboard:
- Remove the back cover by unscrewing it.
- Determine the location of the motherboard, the part that houses all of your external input ports.
- Disconnect all wires and ribbon cords manually.
- Unlock the wire connectors by squeezing the tabs with needle-nose pliers.
- Remove all remaining wires and ribbons. Avoid opening ribbon connectors with a screwdriver since this can inflict damage to the pins.
- Remove the damaged mainboard.
- Fix the replacement board to the chassis using a screwdriver.
- Reconnect all cable and ribbon connections. Close the top tab after guiding the ribbon back into the connector.
- Reposition the back cover. Tightly secure all cover screws.
LG TV Keep Switching Inputs
If your LG television continues to switch inputs, your device may require resetting. Additionally, your remote control may be defective, causing the problem without your knowledge.
Before replacing your remote, attempt the following steps to reset your television:
- Disconnect the television’s power supply from the wall outlet.
- Hold the power button on the television for about ten seconds.
- Restart the LG device.
If your television doesn’t improve after a soft reset, follow the instructions below to restore it to factory settings:
- Utilize your remote to access the settings menu.
- Select the General tab.
- Select the option to restore default settings by scrolling down.
Once the television is on, it should no longer allow input switching during operation. If this doesn’t happen, have a technician inspect your remote for faults.
Or, you can take the batteries out of your remote and control your TV manually or via a remote app to see if the issue resolves itself.
LG TV Keeps Asking To Change Input
When another linked device powers on, it’s common for your LG television to prompt you to adjust the input. If you’d rather not see this prompt, disable SIMPLINK from the configuration menu.
If this doesn’t fix the problem, consider changing the connected devices’ settings. For instance, if you’re connected to a device with an HDMI cable, you may want to disable the device’s HDMI control features. Likewise, review devices connected via AV or USB cables for a control function.
The previous approach may not apply to all devices. Nonetheless, it’s a good idea to verify that this function isn’t active on the connected unit.
If neither of the above solutions improves the situation, consider modifying the ports to which the gadgets are attached. The majority of LG television models come equipped with several HDMI, AV, and USB ports. Because every port may not cause this problem, it’s worthwhile to experiment with different cable setups.
LG TV Won’t Change Input
There will be instances where your LG TV cannot modify inputs due to the source menu being locked. There are many ways to resolve this problem.
The first procedure requires the entry of a password to access the input menu. To do this:
- Press and hold the Settings button on the TV remote for longer than 5 seconds. If your remote lacks a Settings button, you can use the Home button.
- Immediately enter the pin code 1105.
- Deactivate Hotel Mode.
If this method doesn’t work, try one of the below passwords:
If there are no changes, download the LG TV remote application and repeat the previous instructions using the smartphone app.
Another way to access the input list is to press the Settings button on your remote. To unlock the input menu, perform the following steps:
- Maintain hold of the Settings button until the configuration menu vanishes.
- Push the sequence 2663 on your remote.
- Press Enter.
- Disable the D-box functionality.
- Reboot the television.
If the previous troubleshooting steps fail, it’s best to check your device’s user manual for instructions about deactivating the Hotel Setup. Or, you can contact an LG repair specialist for assistance.